[ome-devel] Launching VisBio from the OME web interface

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue Apr 12 20:30:18 BST 2005

Chris Allan wrote:

>On Linux we have the handy "hostname -f" however that doesn't exist on
>BSD systems, of which OS X's userland inherits so much from. As I recall
>there's a Perl module called Sys::FQDN or Sys::Hostname::FQDN, can't
>remember which, that does the lookup properly (ie. against the inet_*
>structures of a bound socket). I'll look at this a little closer later
>in the week.

Well, I figured out why Tomasz's `hostname` was producing a blank server
name. When digging through apache's error log just now, I came across this:

[Tue Apr 12 12:03:59 2005] null: Can't exec "hostname": No such file or
directory at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4/OME/Web/VisBio.pm line 67.

It seems odd that /bin isn't in perl's path, but with Ilya's change it's
irrelevant now.

Also, "hostname -f" returns "localhost" on my machine. "dnsdomainname"
returns nothing, and "dnsdomainname -f" also returns "localhost." I'm
starting to feel like I must have installed "Debian: Defective Edition." :-)

-Curtis