[ome-devel] Launching VisBio from the OME web interface

Chris Allan callan at blackcat.ca
Tue Apr 12 11:48:12 BST 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 05:02:03PM -0500, Curtis Rueden wrote:
> Ilya Goldberg wrote:
>
> >The perlish way to do this is supposed to be
> >use Sys::Hostname;
> >        $server = hostname();
> >It reports a fully qualified hostname everywhere I tried it so far.
> >See if that works better.
> >I committed it to HEAD.
> >
> >We probably should put this in the configuration table during
> >installation and always get it from there.  There are a few places
> >where a FQDN needs to be generated and sent to a remote client.
> >Register a bug maybe?
>

> I tried it, and the situation improved from "" to "skyking", but still
> no fully qualified name. I agree that a configuration table entry makes
> sense.

On Linux we have the handy "hostname -f" however that doesn't exist on
BSD systems, of which OS X's userland inherits so much from. As I recall
there's a Perl module called Sys::FQDN or Sys::Hostname::FQDN, can't
remember which, that does the lookup properly (ie. against the inet_*
structures of a bound socket). I'll look at this a little closer later
in the week.

Ciao.

-Chris