[ome-devel] "Correct" procedure for defining instruments

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Nov 18 14:42:13 GMT 2004

It doesn't matter at all if you import them during installation or
after.
We've committed ourselves to continuity of databases installed since
the OME 2.0 release, which means that future releases of the software
are supposed to update existing databases.  So in practical terms, if
you import this instrument description at any point, it should stick
around through future releases of OME.

If you're doing a lot of development and you're changing your
instrument descriptions around and doing a lot of installations, it
might be worth-while to automate their import until this gets out of
the "development" phase.  There is a manifest file (a file listing a
bunch of filenames) called src/xml/CoreXML which lists all the XML
files that get imported at the end of the installation process.  You
can add your files to that list, and they will be imported by the
installer.

-Ilya