[ome-devel] Re: Installing on RedHat Enterprise

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Mon Jul 12 19:04:30 BST 2004

On Jul 12, 2004, at 11:45 AM, Chris Allan wrote:

>> LSID Authority
>>
>> What should I put in this? Especially the "defalut Data Directory" ?
>> Maybe i
>> missed a configuration help of some manual, in case, which "fm"
>> should I look
>> at?
>
> Here, your can just use the hostname, "foobar_machine" for example. Or,
> in the best case scenario the FQDN (fully qualified domain name) of the
> machine; "foobar_machine.domain.com" for example.

I would highly recommend the FQDN.  Although this feature isn't fully
supported yet, eventually this will allow remote object resolution.
Also the FQDN will guarantee that the LSID (Life Science IDentifier)
will be globally unique.

The Default Data Directory is the directory that will appear when you
import files into OME via the Web user interface.  Normally it is
either you home directory, or a global directory where images from a
microscope would show up.  In our case for example, the microscope is
connected to a shared directory that has folders for the microscope's
users.  Each OME user is set up so that their Default Data Directory
points to their own folder in this shared directory.  This directory
has to be readable by the ome unix group (specifically the Apache
process, which our installer adds to the ome group).

-Ilya

>> For the GD part, here we go: I have no idea on where is Makefile.PL
>> and
>> relative...
>
> No problem, just try and get a hold of the PerlModuleTask.log. :)

You can also install GD 2 from RPM (or yum).  Many tests will fail, but
its of no consequence.