[ome-devel] Import again...

Stefan Frank s.frank at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Fri Aug 20 14:24:27 BST 2004

Hi Curtis,

this is great news! It's my last day before my holidays, so if you
didn't find time for that, I can start writing the command-line-tool
based on the v3.00alpha3 when I'm back(mid-september). Do you have an
open cvs, so that we can make sure that we code against the head-revision?

But this already brings up another question: uploading images from
Visbio into OME is only one part of the story - it would also be
nice to get images out of OME into Visbio to do volume-rendering,
measurements etc. - or the other way round, having the Visbio-features
inside Shoola. Of course, it shouldn't be too hard to do to integrate
a project-browser into Visbio, but this is obviuosly a general pattern
we have encountered elsewhere: We are currently trying to stitch
together different tools for Visualization(Shoola and Tikal and now
Visbio), Annotation(Protege), and Workflow(Taverna) - in our project we
need all the pieces, but every software is lacking some functionality,
making it hard to build an integrated workflow (what the marketing-guys
would call "seamless") - we've been discussing several architectures for
an integration-platform on which we can throw all this together: Some of
the projects already have some plug-in-features - unfortunately every
project here has a different approach. We are obviously not the first
people who want to integrate all these different pieces together, but
maybe its this great, beautiful beast of a project we have(mitocheck),
that makes this problem worse for us.

We've got terabytes of 5D mitosis videos on the way, and we're
responsible for getting the infrastructure for storage and computation,
as well as the coordination of the feature-extraction, classification,
and annotation of these images up and running.

To handle all this we've got a got a stack of different clients to
integrate:
- ome (of course...)
- shoola (For looking at pictures and organising projects)
- Tikal (has some of the algorithms we need)
- Taverna (handles the distributed workflows)
- Protege (for annotating the samples and handling the constraints
against existing and yet-to-develop ontologies)
- VisBio (Visualization)

Each of these programs do a good job at what they are build for - but
none of the programs can do the whole thing alone.

The question still remains: How can we make all this things work
together? How do we integrate all that? Do we have to develop the
integration platform on our own or can use one that's already existing?
Are these common problems, that other people have encountered when
working with OME? And if so, what were your solutions?

Sorry for this lengthy mail, but I think it's important, that we get
this "Integration"-Discussion started...

Cheers
Stefan

--
Stefan Frank
iBioS - Intelligent BioInformatics Systems
Mail: s.frank at dkfz-heidelberg.de