[ome-devel] Remote Framework: A review

Joshua Moore j.moore at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Aug 17 13:42:21 BST 2004

Zach et al.

I think the Java API is useable, but nevertheless a bit complex for my
most urgent needs[1]. I'll give you a use case:

    A biologist-turned-C-programmer has time-series images. He came to
me looking for a sensible data structure for his routine. I pointed him
to Tikal's data structures, but told him, if you can hang on just a bit,
we'll pull it directly out of OME and you'll be ready for the next wave
of Cool.
    His code needs to: pull the stack out of OMEIS and the time-stamps
that belong to them, i.e. just one ST from OMEDS. Nothing else. And
until I can get that running, he's twiddling his thumbs.

As far as waiting on a lone grad student, heaven forbid. If we've come
(or can come) to consensus, I've got at least one full-timer that I can
put on this. (He's twiddling his thumbs, too.)

Josh.

[1] I think this complexity is a sign that code can be shifted to the
server, because otherwise the exact same functionality would have to be
duplicated in C.