[ome-devel] Remote Framework: A review

Zach Pincus zpincus at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 16:44:19 BST 2004

Hello all,

Sorry to have been out of the loop on this, but I've been on the road
the last couple of days (and for the next week or so).

Anyhow, Josh, how does the Java API look in terms of usability? (see
http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/horde/chora/cvs.php/OME-JAVA/src/org/openmicroscopy/ds?login=2
, and in particular, the Factory and Manager classes). If an API is
provided that looks like that, is that usable enough to point coders
at? Because, if the wrapper API is sound and usable, the transport
layer's usability is basically unimportant, right? I think that the
Java API Doug has made is pretty usable and clear (and
well-documented).

I ask about the Java API because I'm trying to provide basically the
same functionality in the mythical C library. Which brings me to part
two: because I'm away, I'm not sure what an ETA for the C client will
be. Under a month?

Anyhow, I've got it prototyped out, and I'll make the API public as I
finish each layer so people could code against a thin wrapper around
the XML-RPC before I get any of the DTO things totally debugged... But
if waiting on me (a lone grad student currently on vacation) isn't
your cup of tea, perhaps you/we'll need to look at something else.

Zach