[ome-devel] Existing client side code in C

Joshua Moore j.moore at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Mon Aug 16 11:03:18 BST 2004

Harry wrote:

> I think a simple interface of the form that you're suggesting seems
> quite reasonable and straightforward, but i have to wonder about doing
> it over straight HTTP.  Given that we've got the XMLRPC interface -
> which is not going away any time soon - maybe it would make sense to
> wrap these simple calls in XMLRPC..
> Of course, the problem with this is that code would have to change if
> XML-RPC was changed by something else.. which brings us  back to the
> discussion of XMLRPC vs.  SOAP or whatever else.  I don't expect that
> we'll resolve this any time soon, but maintaining two parallel yet
> separate access approaches (XML-encoded vs. straight HTTP) seems
> sub-optimal..

Harry:

Using xml-rpc is reasonable. My problem, however, is where do I point my
developer's and say, "There, code against that." The interface is there
for OMEIS (http://docs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/api/omeis/interface.html)
but it seems to be missing for OMEDS. Once again, maybe it's just a RTFM
problem, but I can't find the FM.

Josh

An aside: this is perhaps one area where SOAP benefits: the WSDL can be
generated automagically, so that there exists an interface and no one
has to keep it up-to-date. Tools exist to download the WSDL and generate
bindings.