[ome-devel] Existing client side code in C

Harry Hochheiser hsh at nih.gov
Fri Aug 13 20:31:00 BST 2004

Josh:

I did not see any other comments on this, so I'll jump in...

I think a simple interface of the form that you're suggesting seems
quite reasonable and straightforward, but i have to wonder about doing
it over straight HTTP.  Given that we've got the XMLRPC interface -
which is not going away any time soon - maybe it would make sense to
wrap these simple calls in XMLRPC..

why bother? Well, this would simplify the configuration and operation
on the other side,  as they could be handled by the same code that does
the existing XMLRPC.

Of course, the problem with this is that code would have to change if
XML-RPC was changed by something else.. which brings us  back to the
discussion of XMLRPC vs.  SOAP or whatever else.  I don't expect that
we'll resolve this any time soon, but maintaining two parallel yet
separate access approaches (XML-encoded vs. straight HTTP) seems
sub-optimal..

any other comments?
-harry