[ome-users] OMERO with multiple data directories

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Mon Mar 26 15:22:43 BST 2018

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 10:12 AM, Benjamin Schmid
<benjamin.schmid at fau.de> wrote:
> Dear all,

Hi Bene,

> Sorry for the lengthy mail, and thanks to those who read it fully to the end
> ;)

Exposition in emails is encouraged.

> So far, we have been running OMERO (and the Dropbox) on an Ubuntu server
> with an attached Thecus storage array (N16000pro) with 16 TB storage space.
> The Thecus machine is connected to the server via iSCSI and hosts (amongst
> others) the users' home and OMERO Dropbox folders. These are shared via
> Samba to the microscope computers.
>
> Because storage was filling up, we expanded the RAID volume on the Thecus
> machine. Afterwards, I also wanted to expand the iSCSI LUN. That's were
> trouble started because I realized that the maximum LUN size on the Thecus
> system is 16 TB. I can create another LUN, but this will basically end up as
> a second partition on the server. My question is now whether OMERO can use
> multiple data directories, or if there is another solution to this problem.

In general, yes, OMERO can use multiple directories but there are, as
always, caveats. Regarding other technical, non-OMERO solutions, I'll
defer to the community.

> What I thought about so far:
>
> * Put some of the users (the ones that occupy most storage sapce) on the 2nd
> partition
> Create symbolic links in both the Dropbox and ManagedRepository folders that
> point to the respective folders for these users on the 2nd partition:
> ManagedRepository/user1 -> /partition2/ManagedRepository/user1
> DropBox/user1 -> /partition2/DropBox/user1
> However, it seems OMERO Dropbox does not follow symbolic links (is there any
> way to make this work?)

DropBox needs to have notifications of what's going on. So if DropBox
is watching /old_storage and the notification comes in on
/new_storage, then yes, DropBox won't be aware of it. One option would
be to run multiple DropBox servers. Another would be to configure
DropBox for the new location on a pure user basis, which is
theoretically doable but neither well-tested nor sysadmin-friendly.

> * Leaving the DropBox in the primary OMERO data folder, and only moving the
> ManagedRepository folder of some users to the 2nd partition
> Does not work because importing from the DropBox is done via hard links
> (which I very much appreciate), and hard links cannot cross file system
> borders.

Understood. This is valuable feedback.

> * mhddfs (https://romanrm.net/mhddfs)
> I found this small Linux tool that basically joins several filesystems into
> a (virtual) large partition. However, it seems to have some impact on
> performance, and, more severely, does also not create correct hard links
> when importing via OMERO DropBox.

This is new for me.

> * LVM
> This could also be used for combining several partitions into a single big
> one. Advantages over mhddfs is that it's integrated in the Linux kernel.
> Disadvantage is that the used partitions need to be formatted for LVM, so
> unlike mhddfs, it doesn't work with existing partitions (with existing
> data). I could however initialize the new partition with LVM, copy data from
> the existing LUN onto it, free the first partition and then add it to the
> LVM managed volume. Downside: data copying will take a lot of time, and I
> have no experience with LVM, in particular I do not know whether hard
> linking will work properly. Also I have no idea how LVM would impact
> performance. Maybe somebody can provide some information about this.

Perhaps someone will chime in with the specifics of LVM in your
scenario, but we *do* use LVM on most if not all OME team-managed
systems. I haven't seen any hard-linking issues with LVM.

> * Going away from iSCSI, instead share the entire RAID volume via NFS, which
> is then mounted on the server (and re-shared via Samba to the microscope
> computers)
> However, I read a couple of times that re-sharing an NFS mount via Samba
> causes trouble and is not recommended. Can anybody confirm this?

Without knowing more, I'd be concerned that you wouldn't get the
DropBox notifications that you need.

> * Giving up on the hard-linking import and make users delete their data in
> their DropBox folders once it's imported.
> Not really nice.

Have you looked at any of the "move" strategies? Do you have something
internally that would work like `rsync --delete-source` that you would
trust?

> * Giving up OMERO Dropbox and make users use OMERO.insight to import the
> acquired data.
> Not really nice.
>

> Has anybody had a similar problem in the past?
> What is the preferred way to solve this?
> Have I overseen anything obvious to make this work?
> I'm not really happy with any of the things I outlined above.

If you don't mind, could you share with us approximate sizes for
ManagedRepository and DropBox (and other large directories) that you
are looking to re-arrange? That along with how many users and
used/free sizes of your various mount points might help to suggest
something.

All the best,
~Josh.