[ome-users] OMERO with multiple data directories

Benjamin Schmid benjamin.schmid at fau.de
Mon Mar 26 09:12:57 BST 2018

Dear all,

Sorry for the lengthy mail, and thanks to those who read it fully to the
end ;)

So far, we have been running OMERO (and the Dropbox) on an Ubuntu server
with an attached Thecus storage array (N16000pro) with 16 TB storage
space. The Thecus machine is connected to the server via iSCSI and hosts
(amongst others) the users' home and OMERO Dropbox folders. These are
shared via Samba to the microscope computers.

Because storage was filling up, we expanded the RAID volume on the
Thecus machine. Afterwards, I also wanted to expand the iSCSI LUN.
That's were trouble started because I realized that the maximum LUN size
on the Thecus system is 16 TB. I can create another LUN, but this will
basically end up as a second partition on the server. My question is now
whether OMERO can use multiple data directories, or if there is another
solution to this problem.

What I thought about so far:

* Put some of the users (the ones that occupy most storage sapce) on the
2nd partition
Create symbolic links in both the Dropbox and ManagedRepository folders
that point to the respective folders for these users on the 2nd partition:
ManagedRepository/user1 -> /partition2/ManagedRepository/user1
DropBox/user1 -> /partition2/DropBox/user1
However, it seems OMERO Dropbox does not follow symbolic links (is there
any way to make this work?)

* Leaving the DropBox in the primary OMERO data folder, and only moving
the ManagedRepository folder of some users to the 2nd partition
Does not work because importing from the DropBox is done via hard links
(which I very much appreciate), and hard links cannot cross file system
borders.

* mhddfs (https://romanrm.net/mhddfs)
I found this small Linux tool that basically joins several filesystems
into a (virtual) large partition. However, it seems to have some impact
on performance, and, more severely, does also not create correct hard
links when importing via OMERO DropBox.

* LVM
This could also be used for combining several partitions into a single
big one. Advantages over mhddfs is that it's integrated in the Linux
kernel. Disadvantage is that the used partitions need to be formatted
for LVM, so unlike mhddfs, it doesn't work with existing partitions
(with existing data). I could however initialize the new partition with
LVM, copy data from the existing LUN onto it, free the first partition
and then add it to the LVM managed volume. Downside: data copying will
take a lot of time, and I have no experience with LVM, in particular I
do not know whether hard linking will work properly. Also I have no idea
how LVM would impact performance. Maybe somebody can provide some
information about this.

* Going away from iSCSI, instead share the entire RAID volume via NFS,
which is then mounted on the server (and re-shared via Samba to the
microscope computers)
However, I read a couple of times that re-sharing an NFS mount via Samba
causes trouble and is not recommended. Can anybody confirm this?

* Giving up on the hard-linking import and make users delete their data
in their DropBox folders once it's imported.
Not really nice.

* Giving up OMERO Dropbox and make users use OMERO.insight to import the
acquired data.
Not really nice.

Has anybody had a similar problem in the past?
What is the preferred way to solve this?
Have I overseen anything obvious to make this work?
I'm not really happy with any of the things I outlined above.

Thank you very much in advance,

Benjamin

--
Optical Imaging Centre Erlangen