[ome-users] FlowSight .cif file opened with low resolution

Minh Doan minhdoan at broadinstitute.org
Wed Jan 18 18:40:45 GMT 2017

Hello Melissa,

Many thanks for your return.

As requested, here are the screenshot I took of the
export_to_cif_for_later_tiff.cif being opened in IDEAS.

Also, one of my senior colleagues have just had an independent
investigation. And he theorized that, maybe the display by IDEAS is a
"smoothed" display. Please see the discussion below:

----
I've been digging a lot deeper into to this and now I'm even more convinced
that the tiffs we get from bioformats is the raw data that the Imagestream
machine actually records (it isn't a conventional microscope and the
resolution is between 0.33 and 0.5um so typical 10um cells would have a
width of 20-30 pixels) - in IDEAS a lot of data massage goes on - e.g. if
you load an image into the workspace and zoom it constantly smooths the
image for presentation

the other thing that convinces me of this is that if you load an image in
IDEAS and use 'Draw line profile' to draw a line across the width of the
cell it gives the length of the line in pixels (not fractions of pixels)
and this corresponds exactly to the width of the cell you get from the
tiffs generated by bioformats

in the creat tiffs module you can clearly output data in the raw format
(for analysis) but maybe even this is being modified ???

----

We could not confirm this theory at the moment, because similar to you, we
do not have an access to FlowSight/Amnis data structure, we only have an
installed IDEAS version 6.0 in Windows.

Hope that helps.
Many thanks again.