[ome-users] Preferred color mapping for channels in OME-TIFF

Dmitry Fedorov fedorov at ece.ucsb.edu
Tue Apr 28 02:34:44 BST 2015

Dear Bioformatters,

I wanted to store and also retrieve the preferred color mapping for image
channels within OME-TIFF. Something like: channel0: 0,255,0; channel1:
255,0,0. I was looking over the schema and didn't find a specific field for
this. Also looking at the OME-TIFF file produced by converting from a
proprietary file this information seems not to be stored nor red by the
viewer (bioformats or imagej). I'm not sure if I'm being unlucky with the
format though.

My question would be if there's such a field somewhere, say in channel:
<Channel ID="Channel:0:0" Name="FITC" SamplesPerPixel="1">
<DetectorSettings ID="Detector:0:0"/>
<ColorMapping Value="255,0,0"/>
</Channel>

I guess I could use StructuredAnnotations but those would not be
interpretable by other viewers. I could also reorder channels but that
would only solve mapping to a single channel but not to multiple, like
yellow for example.

Thank you for your time!
-dmitry--

Dmitry Fedorov Levit <dima at dimin.net>
Web: http://www.dimin.net/

Center for Bio-Image Informatics:
  <http://www.bioimage.ucsb.edu/>

Vision Research Lab, Electrical and Computer Engineering:
  <http://vision.ece.ucsb.edu/>

University of California, Santa Barbara