[ome-users] Unable to open lif file

Sebastien Besson (Staff) s.besson at dundee.ac.uk
Sun Apr 19 20:29:13 BST 2015

Dear Mai,

the fix for your LIF issue has been reviewed by the OME team and merged three days
ago into the development line (for reference the changes were finally handled in
https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/pull/1724).

This bug fix will be included in the next 5.1.1 release of Bio-Formats due by the end of this
month.

As you are using Fiji, the easiest way to retrieve the latest version of Bio-Formats including
this bug fix immediately is to enable the Bio-Formats update site following the instructions given
by Mark below (http://imagej.net/How_to_follow_a_3rd_party_update_site).

Best regards,
Sebastien

On 14 Apr 2015, at 13:11, Mark Hiner <hiner at wisc.edu<mailto:hiner at wisc.edu>> wrote:

Hi all,

>Can you briefly tell me what I need to do exactly in Fiji to be able to read my file with the solution.

>For Fiji, it's a bit more annoying because you first have to remove all the existing files related to bioformats before doing this.

Note that Roger's instructions only apply to testing Fiji/ImageJ with unmerged branches. Once https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/pull/1724 is merged, all you need to do is enable the Bio-Formats update site (http://imagej.net/How_to_follow_a_3rd_party_update_site) which is synchronized with the develop branch (https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats). You would not need to manually modify any .jars, and should not need to wait for a 5.1.1 release to test this fix.

But note that even with this patch on the Bio-Formats update site, using a non-release version of Bio-Formats gives up reproducibility (http://imagej.net/Architecture#Reproducible_builds) and should only be used for testing - as Roger suggested.

Best,
Mark