[ome-users] number of institutions using OMERO

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Sun Jun 26 19:42:04 BST 2011

Hi Rajarshi-

On 26 Jun 2011, at 18:37, Rajarshi Guha wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Jason Swedlow
> <jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk> wrote:
>> How long to install OMERO?  With a vanilla install of Ubuntu 10.04, I
>> followed the instructions at
>> http://www.openmicroscopy.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=665
>> and was up and running in about 25 mins.  The bulk of the work is getting
>> the system integrated into your own environment, especially with the tools
>> that your scientists  use for image analysis and processing.
>
> On a related note, to what extent have people had experience with
> integrating vendor (proprietrary) software with an OMERO
> infrastructure? I see  a number of threads where people have plugged
> in their own custom code. In our case for example, we use MetaXpress -
> but currently this has to remain a standalone system since, as far as
> I can tell, there is no way for it to work with OMERO.

This is a question for the commercial vendors.  Many now output OME-TIFF, so that's a start.  You are asking them to adapt their software to the OMERO API:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/wiki/OmeroApi

> While we have other platforms (Incell etc) that could make use of
> OMERO and could write our own image analysis code, we also have vendor
> s/w that we'd like to run - but as far as I can tell won't work
> directly with OMERO.
>
> I know that the Columbus system is one such example. Are there any
> other commericial systems that will work with OMERO? Has anybody had
> luck with working with a vendor customizing their s/w to work with
> OMERO?

Applied Precision also has a product called DMS, which is a data management application built on OMERO Beta 2.3.  We'd love to hear about any others. and certainly happy to support any efforts in this direction.

Cheers,

Jason

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street