[ome-users] Encrypting Omero communications

Chris Allan callan at blackcat.ca
Thu Nov 6 20:33:33 GMT 2008

On 5 Nov 2008, at 14:34, Paulo Almeida wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Paulo.

> I don't know if this falls inside the scope of Omero, or if I should
> find an
> external solution, but do you have any experience running Omero with
> encrypted communications between the clients and the server?

Yes, we've been working on it. It has, admittedly, been slow. You can
see some of the progress here:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/ticket/838

All JBoss EJB3 beans have their SSL properties put in place; Josh can
comment further on the status of the clients. If you follow the JBoss
SSLSetup page you can get some idea as to the complexity of SSL with
JBoss.

In short, yes but not easily.

> My problem is that I want to use the Institute's LDAP server to
> import user
> accounts, but it would not be good to send passwords in clear text
> through
> the network. Do you have any experience with this situation?

In general, we trust our local network and insist on VPN connections
for external access. It's an acceptable trade-off for us.

> Thanks,
> Paulo

Ciao.

-Chris