[ome-users] Omero Cluster Setup

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Wed Mar 27 21:08:42 GMT 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 7:34 AM qingwei wei <tchengwee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Cw,

> I manage to setup Omero Server and Omero Web and i am currently planning to setup Omero Server cluster. I am currently looking at the following links:
>
> https://docs.openmicroscopy.org/omero/5.4.0/sysadmins/grid.html
> https://docs.openmicroscopy.org/omero/5.4.0/developers/Server/Clustering.html
>
> 1. Am i right to say that grid is for distributed background processing and blitz is for user session?

Generally, yes. The "Processor" described in the documentation is for
running OMERO.scripts
(https://docs.openmicroscopy.org/omero/5.4.10/developers/scripts/index.html).

> 2. For the grid setup, the example on multiple nodes is assigning slave-node for processor node. Can we have both master and slave running as processor node?

Yes, that's fine. There are two layers here.

 * Masters and slaves are nodes. The only thing that the master _must_
run is the router:
https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy/blob/develop/etc/templates/grid/default.xml#L50

 * The OMERO "servers" run inside of those nodes. Processors can be
any. It's best to only have one Blitz server in the master node. It's
a bit out of date, but you might find looking at
https://github.com/openmicroscopy/omero-grid-docker#running-the-images
informative for how to launch different servers.

> 3. For the blitz setup, am i right to say i just need to follow the grid setup guide but make sure i add the blitz server instance on both master and slave node?

No. There should be only one blitz service. Unfortunately, the user
session component is not horizontally scalable. If that's what you
want, you might prefer to look at a read-only copy:
https://docs.openmicroscopy.org/omero/5.4.10/developers/Server/Clustering.html#read-only

> 4. I need to run this config for blitz cluster setup?
>
> bin/omero config set omero.cluster.redirector configRedirector

That's an extension point that's not particularly used. Depending on
what you are trying to achieve,
it might become of value. Can you tell us more about what you would
like to do with OMERO?

> Thanks,
> Cw

~J.