[ome-users] Elements Opener

Jean-Marie Burel (Staff) j.burel at dundee.ac.uk
Mon Sep 24 15:10:10 BST 2018

Dear Eric

Thanks for you post

Users can already open their images in any 3rd party tool e.g. NIS Elements Viewer, using the "Open With" option available in OMERO.insight,

By default the exchange format between OMERO and the external application is OME-TIFF.

To use the original format e.g. nd2, you will need to replace, in container.xml, false by true for the following entry:

<entry name="/services/OpenWith/Original" type="boolean">false</entry>

This flag is global so it will apply to all the 3rd party applications used that way. Also it will only work for the file formats Elements currently supports.

This might be sufficient for what you have in mind.

Note that OMERO.web has an Open With option but it does not allow to communicate with Desktop applications. The functionality is only able to open images/datasets in other OMERO.web apps.

For further integration, Elements will need to be able to interact with the OMERO API.

We will certainly be interested to move that discussion forward.

Cheers

Jean-Marie