[ome-users] 12-channel Imaging Mass Cytometry -> OMERO

Sebastien Besson (Staff) s.besson at dundee.ac.uk
Mon Nov 12 12:28:46 GMT 2018

Dear Konrad,

following up on this thread, I happened to meet Roberto Spada last week. We went
together through an example of the workflow in order to export a multi-page OME-TIFF file
using the MCD Viewer. We were able to reproduce the behavior described by Jean-Marie
using ImageJ i.e. individual TIFF planes read correctly but the representation of the dataset
is incorrect as it fails to be detected as multi-channel.

From experience, the primary cause for similar behavior are invalid OME-TIFF files i.e. files
that are not compliant with the specification [1]. From the sample dataset shared by Konrad,
this is definitely the case as the file suffixed as `.ome.tiff` contains no OME metadata
in the ImageDescription tag of the first TIFF IFD. Bio-Formats simply falls back to reading
such files as regular multi-page TIFF files.

It looks like the way to fix this now lies within the proprietary software. As discussed with
Roberto, if technical people at Fluidigm want to get in touch with OME in order to resolve
this export issue, they should feel free to continue the discussion here or use any other public
support channel [2].

Best,
Sebastien

[1] https://docs.openmicroscopy.org/ome-model/5.6.3/ome-tiff/specification.html