[ome-users] Tiff compression 16 bit gray scale

Roger Leigh rleigh at dundee.ac.uk
Mon May 28 09:06:09 BST 2018

On 25/05/18 12:47, dalsim at eresmas.com wrote:
>   I want to extract .tif images 16bit gray scale from a .lif and
> compress them using some compressor implemented by you. I have seen that
> there are the following compressors:
> Uncompressed!I want to compress them!
> zlib!It doesn't compress!

DEFLATE (zlib) compression should be appropriate for this type of image
data.  However, it was not enabled in the TIFF writer for unknown reasons.

Please see https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/pull/3153 which
adds this option to the TIFF writer and you should then see that the
"zlib" option will compress correctly.

Kind regards,
Roger

--
Dr Roger Leigh -- Open Microscopy Environment
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation and Expression,