[ome-users] Micro Manager 1.22 broken with Bio-Formats 5.8.x

Sebastien Besson (Staff) s.besson at dundee.ac.uk
Thu May 24 21:39:39 BST 2018

 Hi Stéphane,

good to hear from you and sorry to hear about this issue. First of all, I assume you meant Micro-Manager 1.4.22 i.e. the current stable version? Also if I understand correctly this is an issue that happens primarily while writing images in file stacks in Micro-manager?

Having briefly discussed this internally, what you described is a puzzling behavior. A couple of technical points:

- the Micro-Manager TIFF writing code is largely independent of the Bio-Formats codebase. The main place where the Bio-Formats API is consumed is the OMEMetadata class [1] for writing image file stacks.
- the list of changes in Bio-Formats 5.8.0 [2]  does not reveal any immediate smoking gun on an API behavioral change which would have caused this
- the API of the Bio-Formats 5.1 JARs shipped with Micro-Manager 1.4.22 is incompatible with the latest Bio-Formats versions. However, the Bio-Formats API has been kept fully backwards compatible since version 5.3.0 and I suspect you would  have flagged this behavior during recent upgrades.

[1] https://github.com/micro-manager/micro-manager/blob/master/mmstudio/src/org/micromanager/acquisition/OMEMetadata.java
[2] http://docs.openmicroscopy.org/bio-formats/5.8.0/about/whats-new.html

It seems the next action is for us to reproduce a minimal failing case via one of the deployments you suggest i.e. either Icy + Micro-Manager 1.4.22 + Bio-Formats 5.8 or ImageJ + Micro-Manager 1.4.22 + Bio-Formats 5.8.

Will anyone from your team or one of your users be present at our Users meeting next week? If so, we could schedule some time and go through this issue. Otherwise, we might have to wait until the week of June 4 and possibly try to arrange a call with you guys so that you can guide us through the workflow.

Best,
Sebastien