[ome-users] Pyramids, fast/slow rendering and image size

Sebastien Besson (Staff) s.besson at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Jul 19 21:10:50 BST 2017

Hi Martin
> On 19 Jul 2017, at 09:37, Martin Wlotzka <martin.wlotzka at uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
>
> Dear Josh,
>
> thank you for the comments! I learned one thing which changed the
> picture for me and raised a new issue.
>
> First of all, I misunderstood the meaning of the configuration
> omero.pixeldata.max_plane_height/width. I thought it sets the absolute
> maximum possible image size which is importable, therefore I used a
> value of 20K. But now I realize that it is just the size above which
> pyramids are used. Maybe one could include a short hint on that in the
> configuration glossary :-)

We can definitely see where the historical name of these properties can
lead to confusion. We will look into adding some documentation for
OMERO 5.4.0 clarifying their intent. Thanks for raising the issue.

> So the pyramids generally work as expected after I set a lower
> max_plane_height/width. But at the same time, I encountered a new issue:
>
> I use a lot the Leica .lif format. It works well with 8 bit color depth
> both for pyramid-less rendering of small images, as well as with
> pyramids for larger images. However, with 16 bit color depth only the
> pyramid-less small images work, but the larger images with pyramids look
> completely weird. .tif images work well in any size and color depth. So
> I think it's really an issue with the .lif format.

If pyramid generation problems only happen for large 16-bit Leica LIF images,
this might suggest a format-specific issue. Would it be possible to upload
a sample file at http://qa.openmicroscopy.org.uk/qa/upload/?

> Just to share some performance experience (keen to hear experience from
> the community): I checked different tile sizes and measured roughly the
> time [sec] from click-to-complete when zooming and adjusting channels in
> the web image viewer.
>
>                           tile_height/width = 128 | 256 | 512
> [ 5899 x 9898 x 1 x 1 x 3 x tif uint8 ]    5     3     2.5
> [ 5892 x 6966 x 1 x 1 x 3 x tif uint8 ]    4.5  3     2.5
> [ 3554 x 3002 x 1 x 1 x 3 x tif uint8 ]    6     3.5   2
> [ 3554 x 3002 x 1 x 1 x 3 x tif uint16]   6     3.5   2.5
> [ 3554 x 3002 x 1 x 1 x 3 x lif uint8 ]    5     3      2
> [ 5883 x 4997 x 1 x 1 x 3 x lif uint8 ]    5     3      2.5
>
> System: Ubuntu 16.04, 8 x 2.6 GHz, OMERO 5.3.3-ice36-b63, blitz &
> pixeldata 5GB, indexer & repo 2.5 GB
>
> Cheers,
>
> Martin

Best,