[ome-users] Pyramids, fast/slow rendering and image size

Martin Wlotzka martin.wlotzka at uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Jul 19 08:37:41 BST 2017

Dear Josh,

thank you for the comments! I learned one thing which changed the
picture for me and raised a new issue.

First of all, I misunderstood the meaning of the configuration
omero.pixeldata.max_plane_height/width. I thought it sets the absolute
maximum possible image size which is importable, therefore I used a
value of 20K. But now I realize that it is just the size above which
pyramids are used. Maybe one could include a short hint on that in the
configuration glossary :-)

So the pyramids generally work as expected after I set a lower
max_plane_height/width. But at the same time, I encountered a new issue:

I use a lot the Leica .lif format. It works well with 8 bit color depth
both for pyramid-less rendering of small images, as well as with
pyramids for larger images. However, with 16 bit color depth only the
pyramid-less small images work, but the larger images with pyramids look
completely weird. .tif images work well in any size and color depth. So
I think it's really an issue with the .lif format.

Just to share some performance experience (keen to hear experience from
the community): I checked different tile sizes and measured roughly the
time [sec] from click-to-complete when zooming and adjusting channels in
the web image viewer.

                           tile_height/width = 128 | 256 | 512
[ 5899 x 9898 x 1 x 1 x 3 x tif uint8 ]    5     3     2.5
[ 5892 x 6966 x 1 x 1 x 3 x tif uint8 ]    4.5  3     2.5
[ 3554 x 3002 x 1 x 1 x 3 x tif uint8 ]    6     3.5   2
[ 3554 x 3002 x 1 x 1 x 3 x tif uint16]   6     3.5   2.5
[ 3554 x 3002 x 1 x 1 x 3 x lif uint8 ]    5     3      2
[ 5883 x 4997 x 1 x 1 x 3 x lif uint8 ]    5     3      2.5

System: Ubuntu 16.04, 8 x 2.6 GHz, OMERO 5.3.3-ice36-b63, blitz &
pixeldata 5GB, indexer & repo 2.5 GB

Cheers,

Martin