[ome-users] Thanks for the docs! (and some further ideas for improvement)

Mario Emmenlauer mario at emmenlauer.de
Sat Jul 15 11:51:46 BST 2017

Dear OMERO Team,

thanks for the really easy to follow instructions for setting up
OMERO server and web. I used them for updating our Dockerized
integration testing installation, and setup on Ubuntu 16.04 was
a breeze! Nice!

Also a small request, if I may: In my personal impression, the
instructions for OMERO.server are slightly more streamlined than
the one for OMERO.web. It might be nice to update the latter to
better match the former. I.e. OMERO.server has variables like
OMERO_WEB_PORT=80 set, where OMERO.web uses WEBPORT=80. Maybe use
the same syntax for both pages? So I'd suggest to update the
OMERO.web page to use something like (I'm just tossing ideas here):
    OMERO_SYSTEM_USER=omero
    OMERO_WEB_PORT=80
    OMERO_WEBSERVER_URL=localhost

Furthermore the instructions for OMERO.web repeat several of the
apt-get install steps from OMERO.server, but using a slightly
different syntax. Maybe you could just copy the instructions from
the OMERO.server page to the other?

One last minor improvement: Both pages refer in several places to
the users home directory. I changed the user name and subsequently
had to change the path several times. Maybe you could use $HOME or
$OMERO_SYSTEM_USER variables instead. This would allow for even
more copy-paste (for lazy people like myself) :-)

In any case, thanks for the nice instructions, and happy weekend.

Cheers,

    Mario Emmenlauer

--
BioDataAnalysis GmbH, Mario Emmenlauer      Tel. Buero: +49-89-74677203
Balanstr. 43                   mailto: memmenlauer * biodataanalysis.de