[ome-users] Is a web-user different from an API user? I get a credentials error

Mario Emmenlauer mario at emmenlauer.de
Mon Aug 7 15:19:06 BST 2017

Dear OME team,

thanks for the find, its quite interesting! Funny how software can
have the most unexpected caveats :-)

I wonder if this is not in fact a bug of Ice Properties?

All the best,

   Mario

On 07.08.2017 15:52, Dominik Lindner (Staff) wrote:
> Hi Mario,
>
> the minimal-omero-client uses a login method which makes use of the Ice Properties interface.
> It looks like that invokes the same parsing methods for command line as for properties files and treats the
> '#' as comment symbol.
> https://doc.zeroc.com/display/Ice36/The+Properties+Interface
>
> I'll update the minimal-omero-client to use the same login procedure as the other clients, in which
> the '#' character does not cause any issues.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Dominik
>
> PS: Thanks Sebastien for figuring that out by the way!
>
>> On 20 Jul 2017, at 20:28, Mario Emmenlauer <mario at emmenlauer.de> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Sebastien,
>>
>> On 20.07.2017 14:46, Sebastien Besson (Staff) wrote:
>>> spent a bit of time debugging this using our own Docker image [1]. Minimally I set up a
>>> system similar to the yours as follows:
>>>
>>> $ docker run -d --name postgres -e POSTGRES_PASSWORD=postgres postgres
>>> $ docker run -d --name omero-server --link postgres:db \
>>>   -e CONFIG_omero_db_user=postgres -e CONFIG_omero_db_pass=postgres \
>>>   -e CONFIG_omero_db_name=postgres     -e ROOTPASS=omero-root-password \
>>>   -p 24064:4064  -e CONFIG_omero_ snoopycrimecop/omero-server
>>>
>>> Logging in using the root user worked either via the CLI or minimal-omero-client
>>>
>>> $ omero login root@<host>:24064 -w omero-root-password
>>> $ ./bin/minimal-omero-client —omero.host=<host> --omero.port=24064 --omero.user=root
>>>   —omero.pass=omero-root-password
>>>
>>> I tried to create a local user using the same credentials that you sent to me privately and
>>> was able to reproduce the issue.
>>>
>>> Interestingly, the password you set up contains a hash symbol. Removing this from the
>>> password was sufficient for me to restore the connection via the minimal Java client. Could
>>> you confirm this on your end? If so, this is a bug either in minimal-omero-client or in the Java
>>> gateway.
>>
>> I can confirm your observation! I've changed the password and removed
>> the hash sign, and the error from minimal-omero-client is gone. Since
>> I have a vanilla installation of OMERO, I do not get any output from
>> the client :-)
>>
>> But I guess the lack of error is a sufficient sign of success :-)
>>
>> Thanks! That is good enough for me to progress right now!
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>>    Mario

Viele Gruesse,

    Mario Emmenlauer

--
BioDataAnalysis GmbH, Mario Emmenlauer      Tel. Buero: +49-89-74677203
Balanstr. 43                   mailto: memmenlauer * biodataanalysis.de