[ome-users] links to latest downloads

Carnë Draug carandraug+dev at gmail.com
Thu May 12 14:01:35 BST 2016

On 11 May 2016 at 14:15, "Tjelvar Olsson (JIC)"
<Tjelvar.Olsson at jic.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear OME,
>
> I'm currently writing some internal documentation to help our users get
> up to speed with OMERO, the OMERO insight client etc.
>
> I would like to be able to point the users at a permanent URL that points
> to the latest version of your download page. E.g.
>
> https://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/omero/latest/
>
> Does such a URL exist?
>
> Also, are there any handles to be able to link to specific sections of the
> download page? For example, I would like to be able to have a URL that
> always pointed at the latest version of the OMERO insight client download
> section.

Sebastien already replied how to do it.  I will just add why you may not
want to do it.

The client version needs to be the same major version as the server it
connects to.  This means that between a new major released of omero and
you updating your omero server, the links will be incorrect.  Because of
this you should use the link for the latest major version suggested by
Sebastien (instead of the very latest release).

I have suggested on github that such link could be in the omero webclient
login page [1] so that it will be always correct.

Carnë

[1] https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy/issues/4657