[ome-users] excessive time to upgrade database

Mark Carroll m.t.b.carroll at dundee.ac.uk
Tue Mar 8 09:19:43 GMT 2016

Dear Olivier,

> Is there somewhere a script to check and clean the database?
> Our omero.server  is in production for about five years now and perhaps
> we now need to clean some unused stuff in the database?

What I'd been mentioning to Carnë in this thread about periodic VACUUMs
and suchlike probably suffices for PostgreSQL; their documentation is
good on this point. If we notice that our server has wrongly been
leaving some kind of debris in the database then we usually include
cleanup in upgrade scripts so it gets done for our users anyway in time;
for instance, the upgrade that we've been discussing included some
removal of uselessly duplicate rows from a large table.

However, separately from the database, there is also the binary
repository: it is probably worth glancing at the first part of
https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero/sysadmins/server-backup-and-restore.html
which talks about cleaning files up before doing a backup. If you
haven't run a "bin/omero admin cleanse" for a while then that might be
something that's worth adding to your infrequent maintenance checklist.

-- Mark