[ome-users] Network drive slowness

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Tue Mar 24 00:40:05 GMT 2015

Evening, Paul.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Paul van Schayck <paul at vanschayck.nl> wrote:

> I think this line shows that both checksum calculation and uploading
> are done using one file read on the client side. This takes away my
> concern for a bottleneck there.

Excellent.

> I was aware that the checksum calculation was repeated server side.
> But I'm not worried about calculating the checksum, in our workflow we
> are using small JPG files for which calculating the checksum is
> trivial. I'm searching for bottlenecks when the import takes place
> from a network drive on the client side. This leads to unresponsive
> importer client and out of memory server when are importing several
> thousand images.

Definitely understood, and minimizing overhead is precisely the intent
of the new "--skip" argument in 5.1.0:

  https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero5.1-staging/users/cli/import.html#cmdoption-omero-import--skip

If there are still any bottlenecks, the next place to look might be
the number of JVMs which are started with the logical extreme being to
not use a JVM at all. Until we provide a Python import library,
though, this amounts to writing your own and so shouldn't be attempted
if unnecessary.

All the best,
~Josh.