[ome-users] [Bio-Formats] JPEG-XR via CZI

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Fri Jul 31 13:06:07 BST 2015

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 1:44 PM, Alexandre Dufour <adufour at pasteur.fr> wrote:
> Hi everyone,

Hi Alexandre,

> I was trying to fiddle with a CZI file that has JPEG-XR compression, alas it
> won’t open via the latest Bio-Formats (official or nightly), with the
> following error:
>
> loci.formats.UnsupportedCompressionException: JPEG-XR not yet supported
>
> After digging through some archives, I found:
>  - this ticket: https://trac.openmicroscopy.org/ome/ticket/8493
>  - this PR: https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/pull/1014
> which suggests that the issue had been fixed over a year ago, hence my
> surprise.

Sorry for the surprise. We did indeed start the work on a JPEG-XR
codec but realized that we weren't going to be able to complete it and
achieve our other goals. The PR you reference (8493) added as the
title says the "initial structure" for the package, but the critical
methods are not yet implemented. Similarly, all the JPEG-XR tickets
(8493 and the 12 associated tasks) were all closed: "needsfunding"
about 3 months ago:

  Resolution set to needfunding
  Status changed from accepted to closed

We're certainly also interested in seeing this supported, but at the
moment, no work is ongoing.

All the best,
~Josh