[ome-users] JPEG Exif read support

Melissa Linkert melissa at glencoesoftware.com
Wed Jan 28 21:40:24 GMT 2015

Hi Paul,

> I've been working on getting JPEG exif reading to work using the
> Drew's metadata-extractor. My work is located here:
>
> https://github.com/PaulVanSchayck/bioformats/compare/jpeg-exif?expand=1
>
> How does this look to you? It works nicely in extracting EXIF on the
> files (from one camera) we've been using. Also using this server side
> in OMERO has been working.
>
> I'm not really sure on whether to include the xmpcore.jar file or not.
> Also, xercesImpl has to be updated to updated to at least 2.8.1. I'm
> still working on that getting that comitted. Do you foresee any
> problems with that?

Thanks for this.  From the metadata-extractor documentation, it looks
like xmpcore.jar is required to have EXIF extraction work correctly, so
including it is fine.  I would suggest naming it xmpcore-x.y.z.jar
though (where x.y.z is the version number), and adding it to ivy.xml.

I don't see anything particularly concerning in the Xerces release
notes, but the only way to know for sure is to open a pull request so
that our continuous integration system can run a full battery of tests.

Regards,
-Melissa