[ome-users] Bioformats : 3D meshes, µCT and MRI data

renaud.lebrun renaud.lebrun at univ-montp2.fr
Wed Oct 1 11:04:21 BST 2014

Hello,

I belong to a microscopy platform (http://www.mri.cnrs.fr ), and I
myself am in charge of a X-ray microtomograph, which generates stackes
of images (typically dicom or 3D tiffs) which bioformats manages well.

I got recently interested by the bioformats library and especially the
OMERO project to handle data generated by the facility I use (image
stacks) and derived data (3D meshes).

I saw that bioformats handles well data generated by Amira software,
such as Amira project, Amira meshes and Amira images. I find this great,
because this is typically the kind of derived data which are generated
by users of µCT, CT, MRI and µMRI (and these 3D data acquisition methods
are now commonly used by biologists).

I write you to know whether you plan to extend the bioformats libary to
more standard 3D mesh formats (such as .ply format, .stl, .obj or .vtk
), which are much more commonly used than amiramesh formats ? That would
be extremely convenient and such features could potentially be used by
many biologists.

I thank you in advance for your answer,

Best wishes,
Renaud