[ome-users] OME login behaviour after enabling public data

Jake Carroll jake.carroll at uq.edu.au
Thu Nov 27 19:17:46 GMT 2014

Hi all,

After enabling a public data sharing mechanism like so:

bin/omero config set omero.web.public.url_filter '^/(?!webadmin|webclient/action/\w+|webclient/annotate_(file|tags|comment))'

By default, our old OMERO URL:

https://foo.bar.blah.fred/webclient/

Is simply the public data view of the web client. No login page, just the web view.

Unfortunately, from a usability perspective, something goes a bit “wrong” here. If I then go to the top right hand corner and click “logout” (assuming I’ll then be bounced to a login pane), I end up back at the same URL with no user-feedback.

Ideally, if I am sitting at the public data page, pressing logout will kick my browser to:

http://your_host/webclient/login/.

I’ve been rifling through django but can’t find a way to do this, yet. This is really about usability and making it clean/sane for users.

Possibly another thought. Have two URL’s:

http://your_host/webclient/public/
http://your_host/webclient/private/

With the “logout” button always dumping you to the /private/ version. Of course, I do appreciate that the “logout” button returns to the same public facing page currently because it IS logged out. Just a question of how intuitive that is for users, really!

Thoughts or suggestions to implement what I’ve suggested above are appreciated, as always.

Regards,

-jc