[ome-users] JPEG Exif read support

Melissa Linkert melissa at glencoesoftware.com
Mon May 19 09:27:16 BST 2014

Hi Paul,

> As far as I can tell, the JPEGReader in Bio-Formats does not support
> reading Exif data as original metadata.
>
> I would very much like support for that. My use case is as follows.
> We're using a Nikon SLR camera for taking pictures of objects which
> are later analyzed. We're using the JPEG (opposed to the raw NEF)
> output as we want to take advantage of the auto contrast, saturation,
> etc processing of the camera. Within the Exif data is the comment
> field which is set with image identifying information. I would like to
> be able to read this in Omero scripts.

Thank you for reporting this.  EXIF data is not read from JPEG files at
the moment, but there is now a ticket on our issue tracking system for
doing so:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/ticket/12287

You have been CC'd, and so will be notified of updates to that ticket.
If you prefer not to receive updates, please let us know.

> I've also reported this as issue on github
> (https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/issues/1089). But I
> guess that this is the wrong place to request this.

GitHub issues are a fine place to report things as well, it's just a
little easier for us to miss things there as they become mixed in
with open pull requests.

Regards,
-Melissa