[ome-users] LDAP plugin: case sensitivity

Paul van Schayck paul at vanschayck.nl
Fri Jun 20 10:46:56 BST 2014

Dear Felix,

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:07 PM, MEYENHOFER Felix
<felix.meyenhofer at unifr.ch> wrote:
> On 18 Jun 2014, at 20:44 , Paul van Schayck <paul at vanschayck.nl> wrote:
>> By chance I was also looking into this issue for our setup today. As
>> we also have mixed case DN's while the users are unaware of this, and
>> normally login with whatever suits them. What I figured out that this
>> issue has been reported before [1].
>>
>> The workarround posted there involves setting the password provider to
>> chainedPasswordProvider431 [2]. This allows you to manually (or
>> scripted, how?) set the omero loginname to for example all lowercase.
>
> I would like to avoid this kind of administrative work.

If it would be scripted, it might not be that bad.

>> I've however also been looking if changing mapUserName() in LdapImpl
>> might be enough to workarround the problem [3]. Would changing
>> .equals() to .equalsIgnoreCase() be ennough? If we guarantee that
>> within ldap never two users will exist with the same username but
>> different case.
>
> Actually I was hoping there is a way without digging into the source code, but after reading through your references, my impression that the API as it is now might not be generic enough got stronger still.

I managed to get this hack working. First in mapUserName() in LdamImpl
the experimenter omeName is set to lowercase. Then in
Common.ome.system.Principal in the constructor, the name is stored in
lowercase. However, one does not become happy of this hack and I fully
agree that it should become a OMERO wide option to ignore case for
loginnames.

Aleksandra, is it possible to be added to CC list of that ticket?

Thank you,

Paul