[ome-users] FW: What OME Means to You

Jason Swedlow j.r.swedlow at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Jun 18 19:46:18 BST 2014

Dear All-

Thanks very much to many of you who have responded to this email- your feedback has been great, and quite inspiring for the team.

As noted below, we welcome comments on the project, suggestions for future directions, and any critiques on our work or approach.

A few have asked for some idea of where we are going.  Here's our current proposed Aims & Outcomes;

In the next period of its activities, OME will:

·       support new imaging modalities, expressing them in its underlying Data Model, and then building software tools that support reading, viewing, and analyzing these new data;

·       adopt emerging technologies for client application development that allow a single framework to be used in web, Java, and native client applications;

·       integrate new tools for 2D and 3D morphometry, for analysis of data from 3D cell models, tissues and embryos imaged with light sheet microscopes (LSFM), optical projection tomography (OPT), microCT (µCT), high resolution episcopic microscopy (HREM) and other emerging methods;

·       continue to enable and energise the development of new applications for processing and mining image and non-image data;

·       develop tools for systematic annotation and linkage of images, regions and analytic results derived from multi-dimensional images,

·       expand capabilities for publishing and sharing all the types of data supported by OME's tools.

The outcomes of this work will be:

·       application of OME-TIFF, Bio-Formats, and OMERO into an expanding set of imaging domains and scientific disciplines;

·       the availability and use of improved analytic and processing tools for large, multi-dimensional image experiments that probe molecular function and interaction and that reveal the structure and dynamics of tissues, organs and embryos and in particular, the movement and migration of cells in 3D matrices;

·       the means to link images recorded at different scales or with different imaging modalities

·       the ability to link, share and mine datasets from imaging and non-imaging modalities;

·       the appearance of the next generation of image data repositories, with linkage to non-image data (e.g., genomic sequences), annotated with common, standardized ontological identifiers, enabling full search and mining of the stored datasets;

·       routine sharing and publication of multi-dimensional image data by labs, institutions, and international repositories.

All comments, suggestions, and critiques  welcome.  As always, thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Jason