[ome-users] OMERO 4.4.9 won't start after upgrade from 4.4.5

Blazej Pindelski b.pindelski at dundee.ac.uk
Tue Nov 12 11:17:41 GMT 2013

On 12 Nov 2013, at 10:49, Niko Ehrenfeuchter <nikolaus.ehrenfeuchter at unibas.ch> wrote:

> On 12.11.2013 10:49, Blazej Pindelski wrote:
>> What you were experiencing was a known issue [1]. It has been fixed for the 4.4.9 version of OMERO.server [2].
>> From now on, on both the 5.0 and 4.4 branches, the JNLP file will not be cached due to a specific
>> HTTP header sent by the server to the client web browser. This will cause an automatic update (if needed) of the
>> JAR files each time you use the Webstart functionality.
>
> Thank you Blazej! So if I got it right, that fix was not yet included in 4.4.9? Otherwise our problem would be something else, as this is just the version we upgraded to...
>
> I will do more testing on the required force-reload issue that we're still experiencing with the web client. On top of that we have one user who can't see his data any more, but I didn't have the time yet to go and look myself... I'll keep you updated on this.
>
> Thanks again,
> Niko

Hi Niko,

PR 1521 was merged in before the 4.4.9 release, so it is included in version 4.4.9.

I think I'm correct by saying that you went through an upgrade from 4.4.5 to 4.4.9, yes?
The issue you are experiencing with webstart is due to 4.4.5 not having the JNLP cache fix.
During a transition period you will have to manually clear the Java webstart cache, but once each
user starts using webstart from the new 4.4.9 deployment, this missing JAR error shouldn't
happen again (the JNLP will be loaded fresh on each access to the OMERO.webstart link, so
webstart cache clearing won't be necessary).

Happy to help if more details are needed,

With kind regards,
Blazej