[ome-users] bioformats and ITK

Joe Ping-Lin Hsiao phsiao at cs.unc.edu
Thu May 16 22:30:10 BST 2013

Mark,

Yes, I was using the command "ITKIOSCIFIOTestDriver itkSCIFIOImageIOTest
inputfile outputfile".

I am on Windows 7. The two jars (loci_tools.jar and
scifio-itk-bridge-1.0.0.jar) are in ITK/lib/jars.

I manually added the path to classpath, and my classpath is now:
CLASSPATH=.;C:\Program Files
(x86)\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip;D:\Joe\dev\ITK\lib\jars

But I still have no luck.

After running the command, I first get a dialog of
"Could not find the main class: loci.scifio.itk.SCIFIOITKBridge. Program
will exit."
Please see attached image.

And there are also error messages in the console:

D:\Joe\dev\ITK\bin\Release>ITKIOSCIFIOTestDriver itkSCIFIOImageIOTest
C:\Users\phsiao\Desktop\itk-scifio-build\Release\
chZT.lsm C:\Users\phsiao\Desktop\itk-scifio-build\Release\abc.tif
reader->GetUseStreaming(): 1
done checking streaming usage
itk::ExceptionObject (0000000000A4EF10)
Location: "unknown"
File: .\itkSCIFIOImageIO.cxx
Line: 172
exited abnormally. java.lang.NoClassDefFoundErr
r: loci/scifio/itk/SCIFIOITKBridge
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: loci.scifio.itk.SCIFIOITKBridge
Exception in thread "main"

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Mark Hiner <hiner at wisc.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> build/Release/lib/jars ?). So if they are in a different directory, let me
> know.
>
> If the jars are there, try manually adding them to your classpath for now
> and let me know how that goes. If they're not then it's a problem with the
> download script.
>
> You can download the jars manually from:
>
> http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/snapshots/bioformats/4.4.5/loci_tools.jar
>
> http://jenkins.imagej.net/view/SCIFIO/job/SCIFIOITKBridge/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/scifio-itk-bridge-1.0.0.jar
>
> That's all I can think of at the moment...
>
> - Mark
>

> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Joe Ping-Lin Hsiao <phsiao at cs.unc.edu>wrote:
>
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Glad to see SCIFIO is now becoming ITK's remote module. Thanks for your
>> continuous working.
>> I did a clean git clone of the latest ITK, and configure it with
>>
>>    Fetch_SCIFIO
>>    BUILD_TESTING
>>
>> set to ON. Then I run ITKIOSCIFIOTestDriver.exe on an image file, but I
>> got the error message
>>
>> "Could not find the main class: loci.scifio.itk.SCIFIOITKBridge. Program
>> will exit."
>>
>> Do I miss setting some path, or it still requires Bio-Formats?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Joe
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Mark Hiner <hiner at wisc.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi again Joe,
>>>
>>>  I noticed a couple things that may help you: in the
>>> itkVectorImageSCIFIOImageIOTest you sent me (and in all the test classes I
>>> mentioned in my last e-mail) the PixelType and Dimension variables must be
>>> set carefully.
>>>
>>>  For example, with the code in the state you sent me, PixelType is an
>>> unsigned short (which is 16 bits) and the dimension is 3.
>>>
>>>  These settings would be incorrect for the 2chZT.lsm sample data, as it
>>> has an 8 bit unsigned pixel type (so PixelType should be defined as
>>> unsigned char). Also if you're using the SCIFIOImageIO you can typically
>>> set dimensions to 5.
>>>
>>>  I don't know the specifications of your .oif dataset, but the PixelType
>>> and dimensions may need to be adjusted for it.
>>>
>>>   Sorry if you already knew this and were updating these values!
>>>
>>>   Anyway, I've been working on improving the stability of the
>>> SCIFIOImageIO plugin. Using the itkSCIFIOImageIOTest I mentioned
>>> previously, I confirmed that I was able to read and write the 2chsZT.lsm
>>> file and the .oif test images I have access to.
>>>
>>>   These changes aren't in an ITK patch set yet because they include
>>> changes to both the c++ and java code, which will may require some
>>> restructuring of SCIFIOImageIO.
>>>
>>> However, if you're eager to test these changes, you could build off my
>>> development branches:
>>> 1. Clone my ITK repo. <https://github.com/hinerm/ITK> The default
>>> branch is what you want here.
>>> 2. Build ITK as normal (with tests enabled)
>>> 3. Clone my Bio-Formats repo <https://github.com/hinerm/bioformats>.
>>> 4. Check out the itk-bridge-fixes branch in Bio-Formats
>>> 5. From the top level of Bio-Formats, run "ant tools"