[ome-users] [Software Feedback] accessiblity compressed Dicoms

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue Mar 19 21:39:34 GMT 2013

Hi Maarten,

> A problem that we need to catch is opening compressed Dicoms. They
> refer to your Loci plugin. I installed it, and that seems to work... I
> can open the compressed images.

Glad to hear it.

> Is there a possibilty to share a part of your code that allows to open
> these compressed images, please?

Bio-Formats is open source:
https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats

Code relevant to compressed DICOM files:
https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/blob/v4.4.6/components/scifio/src/loci/formats/in/DicomReader.java
https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/blob/v4.4.6/components/scifio/src/loci/formats/codec/JPEG2000Codec.java
https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/blob/v4.4.6/components/scifio/src/loci/formats/codec/JPEGCodec.java
https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/blob/v4.4.6/components/scifio/src/loci/formats/codec/PackbitsCodec.java

But rather than extracting any code, why not simply call Bio-Formats
directly? Here is a simple example:

https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/blob/v4.4.6/components/loci-plugins/utils/Simple_Read.java

Regards,
Curtis