[ome-users] [Software Feedback] MATLAB bfopen discards series names

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Thu Jun 13 18:24:39 BST 2013

Hi Allon,

I am CCing the ome-users list, which is the best place to ask Bio-Formats
questions.

> I just started using your matlab functions with loci-tools.jar. Thanks
> for making a wonderful tool!

Glad to hear it is working for you.

> I noticed a problem, which I suspect has a quick fix. When loading
> multiple series from a .lif file with bfopen, the image "labels" do
> not include the original series title. Instead, the bfopen script
> creates a "meaningful" label that includes information such as "series
> 1/23", but not the actual series label.

Indeed, it happens here:

https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/blob/v4.4.8/components/bio-formats/matlab/bfopen.m#L200

> This is clearly a matlab-implementation specific issue, because the
> series names are correctly recognized in the imageJ importer.

Right.

> I wonder whether you can suggest a quick hack to add this information?
> I tried looking up a user guide for loci-tools.jar, to see what
> command might retrieve the series names. But I couldn't find any
> information.

Sure, the code would be something like:

# override label with series name, if available
imageName = r.getMetadataStore().getImageName(i);
if imageName ~= ""
  label = imageName;
end

But I have not tested this, so it may need minor tweaking.

Regards,
Curtis