[ome-users] Nesting greater than two levels of containers

Will Moore will at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Wed Jun 12 09:21:30 BST 2013

Hi,

 We have been asked for this feature many times and have created a ticket https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/ticket/10233.
You can also see a discussion of this on our forums, with a suggested workaround (not ideal). https://www.openmicroscopy.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=385

Unfortunately the current 2-level Project / Dataset hierarchy has been at the core of the OME data model since the beginning and extending this is quite a bit of work.

We are also reluctant to reproduce a deep (many levels) file system, since part of the beauty of Projects and Datasets is that it's easy to know where you are (E.g. Analysis of a Dataset - you know it contains Images, not directories).
Also, we'd like to improve data management by Tagging, Searching, Filtering etc which are potentially more powerful than hierarchies.

However, we recognise that additional level(s) do have some use and are interested in gathering feedback for this (see ticket above).

Your statement that 3 Levels would be a big improvement is useful. It seems most likely this is what we'll aim for  (can't give any idea of timing I'm afraid), while also try to improve the
Tagging, Searching, Filtering etc.

I'll add your comments to the ticket.

 If you have any more feedback etc, please let us know,

 Cheers,

  Will.