[ome-users] Problem installing OMERO server on Windows 7 x64

Blazej Pindelski b.pindelski at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Feb 6 10:15:37 GMT 2013

> Dear list,

Hi Angelos

> I encountered the an issue while trying to install OMERO server on our new workstation, running windows 7 64-bit. I followed the instructions, but got the following error when trying to configure the omero settings from the command line. This is the command and the error:
>
> C:\omero_dist>bin\omero config set omero.db.name omero_database
> \ZeroC\Ice-3.4.2\python`) was unexpected at this time.
>
> I see there was another person who had the same issue on the list, but claimed that reinstalling everything using appropriate bit versions eliminated the error.
>
> When I performed the installation, I chose 64 bit versions for software where it was not explicitly stated in the instructions that had to be 32 bit (python and add-ons). After seeing the error and the list reply, I reinstalled every software using 32-bit versions. But the error is still there.
>
> Any feedback as to what may be causing the issues would be greatly appreciated.
> I used ICE 3.4 and the corresponding omero version. I use an ssd as the C:\ drive, so omero binary repository was pointed at the D:\ drive, as well as the omero database data.
>
> The path was configured as show below.
>
> C:\omero_dist>echo %PATH%
> C:\Python26;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\S
> ystem32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2012b\bin;C:\Program Fi
> les (x86)\ZeroC\Ice-3.4.2\bin;
>
> I would be happy to provide more information on the installation details, if necessary.

It would be good to see the output of `bin\omero admin diagnostics`.

Two things I can suggest at the current stage:
1. Try installing Ice in the root of the C:\ partition (i.e. `C:\Ice`). That way you'll get rid of any spaces in the PATH entry for Ice.
2. If you installed 64bit Python and add-ons, Ice has extra `x64` folders under \bin and \python. It might be worth using them in PATH and PYTHONPATH.

> Thank you for taking the time to read this.
>
> -A

Happy to help,
Regards,
Blazej