[ome-users] Omero Command Line Interface

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Tue Dec 10 19:10:56 GMT 2013

On Dec 10, 2013, at 6:50 PM, John Webber (NBI) wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi John,

> The page: http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero4/users/command-line-interface.html states that the Omero Command Line Interface is bundled with the OMERO.server, and that just downloading the server means that the CLI is available.  This does not seem to be the case:  I believe that the server needs to be installed before the CLI can be used - is this correct?

The CLI is bundled with the server, so once you've downloaded the package, you have access to the files (primarily: bin/omero). That doesn't mean you MUST use that directory as a server. You could copy the same zip to a number of machines, and use the CLI from each to access the one server which you choose to turn on.

> On the following page: http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero4/users/index.html, the Command Line Interface is listed as an OMERO client!

Right. Most of the commands can be considered a client of the server:

 bin/omero login root at some_host.example.com
 bin/omero hql "select i from Image i"
 bin/omero user add jmoore Josh Moore

These all work remotely.

Only a few of the commands are particular to the server install. Mainly:

 bin/omero admin
 bin/omero config

> Therefore, is the CLI only available by downloading and installing it as part of the OMERO.server, or can it be a downloaded / used as a standalone client, for example to upload images to a remote Omero server?

Definitely the latter. Confusingly, for some of the commands, especially:

 bin/omero import

you need all of the many jar files which come with OMERO.server*zip, so in the end, downloading that for all of your uses of the CLI will tend to be the safest course of action.

Hope that's clear & sorry for the confusion.
~Josh