[ome-users] BigTIFF OME-TIFFs do not meet the BigTIFF standard

Matthias Baldauf matthias.baldauf at umit.at
Sun Nov 25 12:35:39 GMT 2012

Hello all,

I am using the Bio-Formats Java library to write OME-TIFFs with BigTIFF file format. I can open the images with Bio-Formats but it fails with libtiff. Libtiff throws the following error: "Not a TIFF file, bad BigTIFF offsetsize 0 (0x0)." I tested it with images generated by Bio-Formats 4.4.5 and trunk build.

I had a look at the BigTIFF format generated by Bio-Formats and encountered the following problem:
The first eight bytes in the BigTIFF OME-TIFF file are: 77, 77, 0, 43, 0, 0, 0, 8
Byte 0-3 are correct, but according to the BigTIFF specification [1], byte 4-5 should contain the number 8 and byte 6-7 should be zero.
So, the first eight bytes should be: 77, 77, 0, 43, 0, 8, 0, 0

After I modified the BigTIFF OME-TIFF file, libtiff is able to open the file.
May I ask you to have a look at this problem?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Matthias

[1] http://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/bigtiff.html