[ome-users] difficulty with writing LDAP requests for our environment

Steve Moulton moultonsa at ornl.gov
Tue Mar 27 18:24:27 BST 2012

Greetings All,

I am relatively new to both OMERO and LDAP but old enough in net years
to figure out I can't bulldoze my way through this one without help.

Desired configuration:

.  Authorization handled through OMERO administrative interface - I
don't want users in OMERO unless they are authorized that way.  I don't
want OMERO to automatically create users based on their LDAP presense.

.  Authentication through a LDAP server that is used to serve lots of
users and functions.  Id est, I cannot modify the LDAP directory.

What I am seeing at the LDAP server:

SRCH base="dc=mung1,dc=mung2,dc=mung3" scope=2 deref=3
filter="(&(objectClass=posixAccount)(cn=sam))"

(w/ munged details).

What I have configured for the particular user:

 > omero ldap list
   (dc=mung1,dc=mung2,dc=mung3,objectClass=posixAccount,cn=Moulton, Steve)

What I really want presented to LDAP

   (dc=munge1,dc=munge2,dc=munge3,objectClass=posixAccount,uid=sam)

Regardless of what I set the ldap string for the user to, I always get
(cn=OMERO user name) appended.    I really don't want a cn appended - I need
to do lookup by uid.

I have tried to set my user name to "Moulton, Steve" to force cn
lookups, but
the generated string when I try to connect via the web interface is always
downcased, regardless of what I type.  In either case, that would involve
an excess of overconfiguration - users here don't use canonical names,
they use their UIDs.

I've tried setting various configuration bits, all of which are either
ineffectual or make things worse.

So, any one know a way to inject uid=(omero user name) rather than
cn=(omero user name)?

    -s

--
Steve Moulton  UNIX/Linux Systems Engineer
Research and Development Systems Support, ITSD