[ome-users] Testing an OMERO installation

Chris MacLeod ckm at glencoesoftware.com
Thu Jul 5 13:34:25 BST 2012

On Jul 5, 2012, at 5:53 AM, harri.jaalinoja at helsinki.fi wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> can you recommend a setup for verifying that an OMERO installation is working as it should? An automated set of tests? What I have in mind is that each time we do an upgrade (either OMERO, PostgreSQL or maybe even some OS upgrades), it would be great to be able to easily verify that it will not break the system. We have two identical installations, so if we first do the upgrades on the test installation, we could then check that everything works, and only then proceed to upgrading the production instance.

Harri,

We verify the pieces starting with the database and move outward.  In our monitoring system we monitor postgres (as an application), then the OMERO database in specific (size, sessions, etc).  Then basic process checks on the OMERO side.  Is the java process running, are the ice processes running.  In the case you are running OMERO.web is python running.  This also lets us check things like the java process consuming large amounts of memory/cpu; in general working but not performing adequately.  Finally we have our monitoring system login via the console/cli.  This creates a session so it's a pretty good test everything is ok.

sudo -niu omero omero login -s localhost -u guest -w guest -t 5

The session login is the most comprehensive and may be all you need from an upgrade standpoint.  The reasoning behind looking at all the pieces is that it allows us to better see what the problem may be (and faster), it does have the downside that a lot of bells and whistles go off if OMERO isn't running at all.

Hope that helps,

Chris MacLeod
ckm[at]glencoesoftware.com
Systems Administrator