[ome-users] BioFormat problem with some BioRad .1sc files

Geert Meesen Geert.Meesen at UGent.be
Thu Apr 26 10:13:45 BST 2012

Great service :-)

To give you all an idea what I'm doing with ImageJ/Bio-Formats :

We have a BioRad Geldoc XR system (DNA gel imaging, molecular
biotechnology lab).

Users save the images in .1sc format on a network disk on a Linux server
under a folder with their E-mail address as name. This networkdisk is
mounted on a Windows XP computer connected to the GelDoc system and is
only accessible from that computer.

A perl script called iwatch (http://iwatch.sourceforge.net/) runs on the
linux server and monitors activity under this folder. Once it detects a
new file, it calls a custom script I wrote to convert the file to two
jpeg files (one normal, one inverted) with the help of
ImageJ/Bio-Formats in batch mode. These jpeg files and the original .1sc
file are then mailed to the person the folder belongs too. This activity
is also logged to a MySQL database.

I put this system in order since a couple of weeks and the users are
very enthousiastic about it ;-)

Before, they had to save the image in .1sc format, then export them to
.jpeg, using the software provided by BioRad (Quantity One) and then
E-mail the files to themselves by logging in to their webmail accounts
(or use a USB-stick, but I discouraged this option as it is more prone
to computervirus-infections).

Thanks again :-)

Geert.