[ome-users] Big File questions

Will Moore will at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Thu Jul 7 22:00:00 BST 2011

Hi Chris,

  I'll let others handle the more tricky questions, but I can help
with some points:

The "Big Image" cutoff is currently a plane size of 3000 x 3000 pixels
(or equivalent total number of pixels). This is the cut-off for
clients, when deciding whether to use a Big Image (Google-Maps) viewer.
However, the import process that is used for "Big Image" file formats
is always used for those formats, regardless of size.
These formats include tiff, png, svs etc. But not ome-tiff.
We use this strategy for various "Big Image" formats (svs etc) as well
as other "graphics" formats (png etc) to avoid the increase in file
size when these compressed formats are expanded to raw pixel data.
Instead we create a Pyramid of jpeg-2000 compressed data.

I assume the delay when Insight first accesses the thumbnails is due
to the creation of thumbnails, which is quite expensive from pyramids.

Hope this helps,

    Will.

On 7 Jul 2011, at 21:32, Wood, Christopher wrote:

> Hi (again),
>
> Our omero server (4.3) is experiencing some odd behavior that seems
> to be related to big images and importing/rendering them.
>
> Some large tif images, around 2560x2160x100z,  where imported into a
> dataset – the pyramid/big image strategy is used. It takes a while
> to calculate the pyramids, but finishes and it seems fine.
>
> When trying to view these afterword (a day later), if the dataset is
> clicked in Insight (on a client computer) and insight tries to show
> the thumbnails, the cpu on the server goes to 100% and the logs show
> lines like:
> 2011-07-07 11:14:17,675 INFO
> [                 org.perf4j.TimingLogger] (l.Server-1)
> start[1310055257626] time[49] tag[omero.loadPixelsByImage]
> 2011-07-07 11:14:17,721 INFO
> [                 org.perf4j.TimingLogger] (l.Server-1)
> start[1310055257675] time[46] tag[omero.loadRenderingSettingsByUser]
> 2011-07-07 11:14:17,744 INFO
> [             ome.io.nio.FilePathResolver] (l.Server-1) Metadata
> only file, resulting path: /OMERO/Files/Dir-003/3311
> 2011-07-07 11:14:17,744 INFO
> [                ome.io.nio.PixelsService] (l.Server-1) Using
> Pyramid BfPixelBuffer: /OMERO/Pixels/Dir-001/1788_pyramid
> 2011-07-07 11:14:17,802 INFO
> [       loci.formats.in.MinimalTiffReader] (l.Server-1) Reading IFDs
> 2011-07-07 11:14:18,899 INFO
> [       loci.formats.in.MinimalTiffReader] (l.Server-1) Populating
> metadata
> 2011-07-07 11:15:00,019 INFO
> [ ome.services.blitz.fire.SessionManagerI] (3-thread-4) Performing
> requestHeartbeats
> 2011-07-07 11:18:00,016 INFO
> [ ome.services.blitz.fire.SessionManagerI] (3-thread-1) Performing
> requestHeartbeats
>
> (see attached log for more)
>
> The dataset contains 12 images, 6 of those are big images. The logs
> show this happens for each large image and it is a very long
> process. After this process if insight is closed and reopened, the
> thumbnails display fine. Is this the expected behavior?  If insight
> would give some feedback, about what was going on in the background
> that would be good.  Does this processing need to performed for each
> user that looks at the images?
>
> Insight does not display these images in the “Google Maps” way; it
> is not tiled and the overview is not shown in the corner. I have
> importer larger (xy) files that do use the “Google Maps” way.
>
> I saved the original tif file as an ome-tiff using ImageJ/Bio-
> Formats and imported it. The regular import strategy was used for
> the ome-tiff. Why the difference with the same size of file?
>
> I can upload the images (> 1GB) if that would be helpful.
>
> Thanks
> Chris
> <B.log>

William Moore
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street