[ome-users] Newbee question bio-formats in Matlab

Melissa Linkert melissa at glencoesoftware.com
Wed Jan 13 20:10:20 GMT 2010

Hi Claudia,

The installation steps that you describe are correct - just to be
sure, I tried them on a fresh install of  Matlab 7.0.4, and was able
to run the bfopen command without any problems.

There are a few possible reasons for seeing this error message:

 - Matlab was not restarted after 'classpath.txt' was edited
 - changes 'classpath.txt' somehow did not get saved
 - the JVM being used by Matlab is version 1.4 or earlier

To check the last possibility, run the "version -java" command;
Bio-Formats requires Java 1.5 or later, so you will need to upgrade if
the reported version number is 1.4 or lower.  Instructions for
upgrading Matlab's JVM are available here:

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/matlab_external/f98533.html#f122001

Please let us know if none of these suggestions solve the problem.

Regards,
-Melissa