[ome-users] OME-XML Updates

Andrew Patterson ajpatterson at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Tue Dec 7 13:07:49 GMT 2010

Hello OME-XML & OME-TIFF users and potential users,

We are in the process of compiling requirements for changes to the way our OME-XML and OME-TIFF formats work. This is in response to the new ways people are wanting to use our formats, and drawbacks they have come across when storing datasets in certain circumstances.

Examples we have so far include:
 * storing large datasets, one plane per OME-TIFF: this is a valid way to want to store data, but one which at the moment causes metadata duplication on disk.
 * creating a 'lite' OME-TIFF for display or to pass to external applications.

A full list of our current thoughts is on the requirement ticket:
http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/ticket/3535

Some of these changes may effect key features of our formats, e.g. our current insistence that all matadata is stored in the same file as the image data.

We would really like to have your input on this feature, or any others.

If you have a use case that you think would help guide out future work we would love to hear from you. If you can reply on either of the mailing lists (OME-USER or OME-DEVEL), it will let others see and join in!

Thanks again for your help and support.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Patterson
ajpatterson at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Software Developer, Open Microscopy Environment
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression, University of Dundee