[ome-users] Omero 4.2.0 questions: 64bit support and upgrading of BioFormats

Alessandro Dellavedova alessandro.dellavedova at ifom-ieo-campus.it
Tue Aug 10 13:22:59 BST 2010

Hi everyone,

we are currently  deploying OMERO 4.2.0 under Solaris 10 and we'd like to exploit the 64bit architecture of the machine that is hosting OMERO.

Will you please confirm that these are the steps needed in order to run a 64-bit version of OMERO:

- Install the 64bit JRE/JDK;
- Compile the 64bit version of ICE 3.3.1;
- Modify /opt/omero/etc/grid/templates.xml in order to pass the -d64 option to Blitz, Indexer and Repository.

Recently we submitted a bug report about importing AVI files (http://qa.openmicroscopy.org.uk/qa/feedback/2583/?token=e22be4e2e5b11ba866c4f95404d9d7ba) that has been fixed in BioFormats r6754 (thanks !). Since the import of those AVI files is quite important for us, I'd like to ask what's the best way to upgrade our OMERO 4.2.0 server and clients in order to include the fix.

I've also read the message about Maven and LOCI BioFormats, can this ease the upgrade of OMERO 4.2.0 ?

Okay, no more questions for now, I promise ^_^.

Thanks for your kind replies and for the efforts that you are putting into OMERO and BioFormats.

Best,

Alessandro

Responsabile Sistemi Informativi

COGENTECH - Consortium for Genomic Technologies

Via Adamello, 16 - 20139 Milan, Italy
T +39 02 57489.857
F +39 02 9437.5990
E alessandro.dellavedova at ifom-ieo-campus.it
W www.ifom-ieo-campus.it	www.ieo.it

“There are risks and costs to a program of action. But, they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction.” – John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)–